FlexIC Foundry enables custom flexible integrated circuit design
FlexICs are produced in our FlexLogIC® manufacturing system, a highly scalable “fab-in-a-box” capable of delivering billions of FlexICs per year. FlexLogIC is self-contained and highly automated, delivering a disruptive production approach aligned with just-in-time delivery of mass market volumes.
The FlexIC Foundry offering combines the FlexLogIC Process Design Kit (PDK) with a fast output cycle for production wafers, enabling product iteration and refinement without the cost and time scale constraints of a silicon factory. The PDK is based on an industry standard Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tool stream; it includes a basic device library, simulation models, design rules, and a growing library of standard cells to aid in footprint design and optimization.
The FlexIC foundry is currently in beta and PragmatIC has worked with selected partners who use it to create custom tours, including:
- Arm’s research team worked with partners to design a customized, cost-effective machine learning (ML) chip on a flexible substrate to recognize odors;
- Cambridge Consultants provides customized FlexIC design services to its global customer base, leveraging its in-depth expertise in ASICs, intellectual property and end product development;
- imec has designed RFID FlexICs as part of the PING consortium, winner of the Innovation Product Award at the European Electronic Components and Systems Forum (EFECS), and will now operate the FlexIC foundry to transfer a range of other flexible plastic circuit designs in manufacturability volume;
- Productivity Engineering GmbH (part of the Serma Technologies group) is expanding its successful ASIC design service to include flexible ASICs at very low cost. The company has developed its own proprietary analog and digital IP cells and libraries to design flexible integrated circuits for the IoT and industrial market; and
- Talkin ‘Things, in addition to offering labels based on the ConnectIC family, also designs its own RFID FlexICs with exclusive features.
“We are very happy to work closely with these distinguished companies during the development of our FlexIC foundry”, said Scott White, CEO of PragmatIC. “We see this as the key to putting our new technology in the hands of designers around the world to create more innovative products and move them quickly from concept to reality. “